Wednesday 14 March 2007

Acts of Barbarism

I got a hair cut on Sunday. It can be termed as an impulse purchase actually !!! I had gone to buy some stuff from the market, when I saw this saloon nearby. Considering that it was a Sunday, there were not many people there at 1030 in the morning. In Bangalore and Madras, the crowd during Sunday and Saturdays was immense - it was as if the whole town wanted to get a hair cut - I once took a day off to get a haircut in Madras. In Delhi and Bombay, it was slightly better but still very crowded. So I did not want to miss this golden opportunity that lady luck had presented me on a golden platter. I just stood there waiting for my turn smoking and soaking in the sights and sounds of the place. Another gentleman came, the barber announced - aapke se phele yeh chote baba hain - agla namber aapka - before you there is this young gentlemen, next turn is yours.

The saloon was like the many you see in small town India (even though Calcutta is classified as a Metro for Income Tax purposes) - everyone seems to know the other person. The process is a chance to catch up with the latest gossip around. Who has died, who is going to get married, how is your son.. the usual stuff. The actual process of hair cutting is just a side act. The shop has the radio on with the hits of 60s, 70s and 80s blaring, unlike the ones in Bangalore or Delhi where you usually have a movie going on a Cable TV. The shop also doubles up as a shop selling hair care products from Godrej Hair Dye to the latest color Brylcreem Gel.

A chai-wallah (Tea boy) comes in carrying half a dozen cups of tea and replaces the empty ones on the Barber's table. Before he leaves he announces the number of cups that have been ingested today - the balances might be settled later in the day or perhaps the end of the month. There is a separate bench for the people who accompany the people getting the hair cut - they are also asked for tea but you have to pay immediately. I take one - it costs only Rs 2 and its very good - just the right combination of tea leaves, ginger, water, milk and sugar.

As my turn comes - he asks how do you want the hair cut - first in Bengali - then sensing my inconvenience, he translates to Hindi - he asks if I would also want a shave and then he goes about his work. During the process, he smokes a cigarette, takes requests for radio channels, sips tea and provides latest information from the shopkeeper's daughter to Mamata Banerjee's next strike. Suddenly, its done. He asks me again if I want a shave - disappointed that I don't, he asks for Rs. 11 only (yes that eleven rupees). I have only 10 - no change for the 100 rupee note. He says nonchalantly - don't worry you can pay me later. In Bangalore - I was once charged Rs 50 for a haircut - even though the mop was as thick as when I came in. But here he had charged the same amount from the previous customer as well. I am glad, I don't have to review the honesty rating of this place soon.

Hair cutting is just one of the many services that these Gents Parlours offer. You can get a pedicure, a body massage, a good champi (hair massage) and of course catch up on the latest edition of Stardust and Filmfare in case its banned at home. Absolut Bliss.

This is a repost - it was posted before my blogs were deleted on 26 Feb 2007